Friday, June 4, 2010

Kids ward/NICU upgrade at Dunedin Hospital approved

I was delighted to be at Dunedin Hospital yesterday when the Minister of Health announced funding had been approved for the $24 million upgrade of the paediatric inpatient ward, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and the acute psychiatric ward.

In February this year I made strong representations to the Minister of Health Tony Ryall seeking approval for this project. While the doctors and nurses at Dunedin Hospital provide a fantastic level of care to our most vulnerable children, the ward is in a very old and dilapidated state and the cramped conditions in the NICU make it almost impossible to function well when the unit is full.

My own daughter spent a few days in the NICU after her birth in 2006 and it gave me an excellent insight into both the tremendous work being done by the staff in the NICU, but also the incredibly cramped conditions they have to endure. I really commend them for the good grace with which they’ve put up with those conditions and I am delighted the Minister has approved the capital funding which will enable the upgrade to go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment